Our instructors have, on average, 15 years of teaching ESL/EAP in Canada and abroad, and most have graduate degrees in Applied Linguistics or Teaching English as a Second Language. The English Language Programs (ELP) instructors are engaged in continuous professional development, helping to maintain the high level of teaching standards and quality learning experience for our English language programs.
Instructor, English Language Programs, University of Guelph
We accept applications for instructor positions on an ongoing basis. The ELP is an English for academic purposes program that prepares learners to succeed in a Canadian university context.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Developing, planning, preparing and delivering instruction based on the program objectives
- Identifying and developing learning materials, and integrating appropriate learning technologies that demonstrate an understanding of the EAP teaching and learning environment and adult learning styles
- Preparing, delivering and marking quizzes, tests, exams, presentations and assignments and providing constructive feedback in a timely manner
- Maintaining ongoing evaluations of learner progress
Minimum requirements include:
- Two years of experience teaching EAP at the university or college level to pre-university, undergraduate and graduate learners from diverse language and cultural backgrounds
- TESL Canada Level One Professional certification or the equivalent--a master's degree in applied linguistics or education with specialization in TESL is preferred
- Understanding and application of best practices in universal instructional design and accessibility to the learning environment
- Proficiency in standard computer programs
Semester-based contracts are for 15 to 20 teaching hours per week, 14 weeks per semester.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should email the ELP Academic Coordinator/Head Teacher with a cover letter and resume in PDF format (as one complete file). The University thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.