Course Registration
How do I register for a course?

Register Online

For your convenience, you can register for courses and programs the OpenEd Student Portal

Please note that some courses and programs have an approval process that must be completed prior to confirming enrolment. See specific program or course description pages for details.

Register by Mail, Fax or In Person

A printable registration form is available upon request. Please contact our main office to have the appropriate form sent to you. You may complete the form and send it to us by mail or fax, or bring it to our main office:

Open Learning and Educational Support
University of Guelph
Johnston Hall, Room 160
Guelph, ON N1G 2W1

Fax: 519-767-1114

When should I register? 
Course start dates and registration deadlines can be found on your course description page. In most courses, registration will remain open until the first Friday of the first week of the course or until the class is full. Some courses offer reduced fees for early bird registration. Many of our courses fill up quickly and before the early bird deadline. Take advantage of the early bird fee and register early. 
Are there restrictions on who is eligible to take courses? 
Each course description page will provide registration restrictions or course prerequisite requirements. There are generally no restrictions for individuals wishing to register in continuing education and professional development courses, workshops and conferences. 
Is English proficiency required to take these courses?
All courses offered through OpenEd are facilitated in English. For successful admission, you must meet the English Proficiency Requirements outlined in the University of Guelph Undergraduate Calendar.
What is the course cancellation and refund policy? 
To read about our policies, please visit our Withdrawal, Transfer and Refund Policy page on the OpenEd Student Portal.
How do I request a certificate or diploma?
Upon successful completion of the program requirements, you may submit a request for your certificate or diploma. Please note that all requests must be in writing and include a signature.
How do students with disabilities request academic accommodation? 

The University of Guelph is committed to creating a barrier-free environment. Providing services for students is a shared responsibility among students, faculty and administrators. This relationship is based on respect of individual rights, the dignity of the individual and the University community's shared commitment to an open and supportive learning environment.

If you are a continuing education student who requires academic accommodation, please contact the Academic Assistant to the Executive Director. Please ensure that you contact us before the end of the first week of your course (every semester) in order to avoid any delays in support. Documentation from a health professional is required for all academic accommodations. Please note that all information provided will be held in confidence.

Courses, Certificates and Diplomas
What is continuing education?

Continuing education programs are designed to meet the personal and professional development needs of adult learners. At OpenEd, we offer a wide range of specialized non-degree learning opportunities--ranging from one-, two-, and three-day short courses and conferences, to 12-week online and face-to-face certificate and diploma programs.

What is the difference between degree and non-degree credit?

Non-degree credit courses are designed for professional development and generally do not transfer credit towards undergraduate or graduate level degree-credit programs. Courses are weighted by credit hour or the number of hours of instructional time. If you wish to transfer credit towards a degree-credit program, contact your Academic Advisor at your home institution to receive approval in advance of registration.

A university level degree-credit course carries credit towards an undergraduate or graduate degree program.

Can I register for individual courses if I am not interested in obtaining a certificate?

Absolutely! Courses may be taken as part of a certificate program or individually. Individual courses can be applied towards a certificate at a future date.

Can international students register?

Yes, international students are welcome to register for our courses and programs. Registration fees are payable in Canadian funds. There are no additional fees for international students.

Where do I take the courses?

Courses are offered in a variety of delivery formats--face-to-face, blended and online. Face-to-face courses may be delivered on or off campus.

How do online courses work?

Since there are no scheduled classes to attend, you can take advantage of studying at a time and place that is convenient for you, from anywhere in the world. All you need is a computer and a reliable Internet connection.

Our online courses typically follow an 8- to 12-week schedule. Instruction, content, assignments and quizzes are delivered online from the course website. Courses are taught by instructors with significant disciplinary expertise. They will guide you through the course content, while supporting an active and engaging learning environment.

When can I start?

Course start dates can be found on your course description page.

How much time will I need to devote to my course each week?

A general rule of thumb is that you should expect to spend 6 to 12 hours a week, per course, in order to study the material and prepare for assignments and/or quizzes; however, there's some variation in the nature of assignments and instructor requirements, as well as individual study habits. It's important to establish a study routine and schedule early in your course.

Technical and Material Requirements
What are the minimum technical requirements for an online course?

Review the system and software requirements for participation in an online course.

Does my computer meet the technical requirements for an online course?

Check your computer system for compatibility.

Do I need to buy textbooks or course materials?

Some courses require the purchase of textbooks or additional materials to supplement the course content. Review each course description for required textbook(s) and additional materials.

If you require textbooks produced in an alternate format (e.g., DAISY, Braille, large print or eText), please contact the Academic Assistant to the Executive Director at least two months prior to the course start date. If contact is not made within the suggested time frame, support may be delayed. It is recommended that you refer to the course outline before beginning your course in order to determine the required readings.

Some courses include additional materials in the registration fee. You can expect your materials to arrive within two weeks of the course start date.

What is the cost of each course?

Tuition fees and early bird discounts can be found on your course description page.

Are courses tax-deductible?

In Canada, the tuition portion of your diploma or certificate course fee is income tax-deductible. Tax receipts are mailed in February for studies completed in the previous year.

Please note that not all course tuition fees are tax-deductible. If you have any questions, please email our main office or phone us at 519-767-5000.

Is financial assistance available for these courses?

OpenEd offers opportunities for financial assistance to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. Students interested in enrolling in a continuing education course are eligible to apply for a bursary.

Please visit our Financial Assistance page for more details about our bursaries.

Contact Us

Open Learning and Educational Support
University of Guelph
Johnston Hall, Room 160
Guelph, ON N1G 2W1

Phone: 519-767-5000
Fax: 519-767-1114
Email: info@OpenEd.uoguelph.ca